Saturday, September 19, 2009

Good Old-Fashioned French Toast



I love to preserve recipes that have been passed down from generation to generation.  Once or twice a year, my 84-year old Grandma will send me a hand-written recipe on an old-fashioned recipe (index) card.  I treasure every one, as each is tiny piece of my own written heritage that I will someday pass down to my children.

In a world so dominated by convenience breakfast food (bagels, Eggos, Poptarts anyone?) we have forgotten that many recipes like French toast, are really pretty simply and take very little time to prepare.   As I share my Grandma's recipe for French toast, I encourage you to think about this quote "Cooking done with care is an act of love".



Grandma's French Toast

2 eggs, slightly beaten
2 tblsp. sugar
1 tblsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 cup milk
2 tblsp. butter
8 slices of bread

Directions
  1. In a shallow bowl, combine eggs, sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon.  Stir in milk.
  2. Dip bread slices, one at a time, into egg mixture coating both sides well.
  3. Heat butter in skillet pan over medium heat.  Cook bread in skillet over medium heat (3 minutes per slice or until lightly browned).
Serve with butter and maple syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment